The "Follow Me" Paradox

If you've been on Instagram for a while, you may have encountered comments like these:

  • Follow me!
  • If I get 1000 followers by the end of the week my parents will buy me a new car! Follow pls!
  • I will always follow back :)
  • My feed has really cool photos! Check them and follow.

"Follow-Me" is a paradox - it's literally trying to draw you in, but in fact drives you away.

Who are these folks?

90% are kids oblivious of social protocols, or teens competing with their friends. The other 10% are just plain arrogant adults.

Can anything be done?

It is futile to delete the comments. It's part of the public nature of Instagram. As you showcase your pictures, you're also opening your doors to spam. IG has even blocked the clause "Follow me" entirely - of course people are able to work around it easily.

What can you do?

Treat them as mini-claps on your pic. You will usually get these messages when your photo goes to the Popular page anyway, so look at them as flattery, and they won't annoy you.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Funny, I seem to get many of these kids, especially from Russia with more than 5000 followers. I always wondered how the hell they got so many followers.

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Images